Monday, March 23, 2009

It's the little things that change your life

The latest breakthrough in my dissertation argument comes from a writer of YA spec fiction, Madeleine L'Engle. (And if you don't know who that is, stop reading this right now, and get to your local library or bookstore.) It's an idea that has been rolling about in my head for a little bit now, about time, and the different ways in which time runs, and how that changes our perspective on events. Or more precisely, whether we view an event as an event, or an event as part of an ongoing and eternal continuum. I'll spare you the specifics of the speculative theology, and of the dissertation chapter. 

I know that my first L'Engle book was A Wrinkle in Time. I think it was that one that my Mom's friend Gail gave to me. I know that one of my first L'Engle books was a gift from her. A beloved author, and the solution to a vexing academic conundrum, all in one gift, given twenty-odd years ago. 

Oh, and there is such a thing as a tesseract, my dears.

No comments:

Post a Comment