Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh

In honor of the day, this is, I believe, the definitive version of Danny Boy. Seriously, I cannot even tell you how happy that clip makes me. 

If you'd like something a bit more Irish, I point you towards the amazing poetry of Seamus Heaney. A gentleman and a scholar, he is my favorite living poet. You really can't go wrong with anything he's done, but for today I'll recommend two of his translations from the Irish, Sweeney Astray (Buile Suibhne) and The Midnight Verdict, which is a poetic blending of Brian Merriman's 18th c. poem, Cúirt an Mheán Oíche and Ovid's Metamorphoses. Mad Sweeney and mad women. It doesn't get better than that.

***

In other news, I finished the draft of the novel really bloody early this morning.

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed - a draft of your dissertation and a draft of your novel?! You had better be going out to celebrate tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I discovered, the problem with finishing off huge projects like that, is that then you are too tired to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete