Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Miscellany

Progress on the dissertation and the novel proceeds apace. I have enough new material on both that I really need to sit down and transfer the handwritten stuff into the computer. Yes, yes. I draft by hand. With a fountain pen, usually. Onto lined paper for the academic stuff, in unlined moleskine notebooks otherwise.

In the spirit of "five random things make a post," here are five random things that have made me happy recently:

1. The new U2 album, No Line on the Horizon, is actually so much better than the silly lead single. I like sexy boots as much as the next girl, but building a song around them, not so much. Thankfully, the title track on its own makes up for this.

2. The panna gelato with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt at Beretta in San Francisco. Lauren took me to an extremely lovely dinner there while I was visiting. This dessert was so good, I dreamt about it last night. Also, the thé au chocolat from Lupicia is really quite delicious.

3. I was in Nordstrom the other day, using the novel that Megan and I are in the preliminary stages of planning as an excuse to sniff all the new perfume. The wonderful Heidi offered help, and was so excited when I explained what I was doing that she spent nearly an hour showing me various fragrances, talking to me about the history of the houses, and sharing her stories about the connection between scent and memory. Happenings like this are why I love being a writer.

4. The snow is melting. Soon, I will be able to run outside again.

5. I have a secret. A really, really good one. I'll tell you about it later.

2 comments:

  1. I like how the novel is in "the preliminary stages of planning"... makes it sound so official.
    Er. Not that I ever thought it wasn't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Official phrases are just a way to be able to justify fun as "research." You know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete