Saturday, April 11, 2009

"And here I stand, with a sword in my hand"

I am thinking seriously about fencing competitively again.

I've been playing with the idea for a while. I never fell out of love with the sport. I stopped because I had a spate of exciting injuries (torn hamstring, dislocated shoulder) and grad school. I couldn't train like I wanted to, and losing to people I had helped train was a bad mental place for someone who considers herself to be both a perfectionist and very competitive.

But I kept up with some training on my own, casually. And recently a little bit more seriously, as the point of view character in my novel is a competitive fencer, and fencing is important to the story. I realized that I really missed the weight of a foil in my hand. And even more, I miss the way fencing makes me think, and the sensation of fully inhabiting my own skin that I got while bouting.

If nothing else, it'll serve as research.

3 comments:

  1. Kat, this sounds so great! I think it's obvious (from having read your novel darft, and from observing some of your light workouts in San Diego) that fencing is really a part of you. And if you want to be competitive -- I say go for it!

    Not to twist this into some egocentric post, but I'm finding that this reminds me of writing -- I had quit for years, then came back to it because it was the right thing to do. Sometimes there are these things that won't leave us alone...and that can be so rewarding.

    I'm curious to hear what you decide.

    Also, I know some very serious, competitive runners, and I'm just in awe of everyone who takes their athletic talent to the next level. (Of course you already did that). Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I selfishly hope that you will go back to fencing so that I can read about it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I spent the morning drooling over blades on the internet, and I'm visiting my club tomorrow. In all likelihood, sometime in the not so distant future, I'll be back in training.

    And Steffi, I am so glad you came back to writing. The field is better with your stories in it.

    ReplyDelete