Sunday, April 5, 2009

"And we dance while the sky crashes down"

"I didn't know who he was, but the description of the show said 'Legendary Punk Accordionist,' and I thought, that must be kind of great," said the stylish woman I was standing next to last night, waiting for the Jason Webley concert to begin. 

"I love his music," I told her. "I think you'll have a great time."

I hope she did. 

Jason Webley's concert at the Bedlam Theater (excellent name, by the way) in Minneapolis was amazing. Jason is an absolutely charming person, has fabulous stage presence, and really knows how to relate to his audience. He obviously loves performing, and flings his whole body into each song.

And the songs... the songs are wonderful. I'm a big fan of literate lyrics, and his don't disappoint. He did a marvelous version of "Icarus," which is my favorite of his songs, and of course, "Eleven Saints." He told a ghost story, and made us all spin around so that we could properly sing the "Drinking Song" (while hanging on to each other and swaying like drunks.)

It was a wonderful show. I highly recommend seeing him in person if he's touring someplace near you. And if not, give his music a listen. The Legendary Punk Accordionist is kind of great.

1 comment:

  1. No California = sadness.

    Ho hum. I shall just have to get his music and listen to it outside in our 70 degree afternoons...

    ReplyDelete