Saturday, April 4, 2009

For love...

One of the lovelier memes going around the internet today is this one.

One of the most beautiful meditations on love I've ever read comes from the late medieval mystic, Julian of Norwich. In explaining her visions, and why God gave them to her, she writes (and because I love you, I will translate from the Middle English):

"'Know it well, love was his meaning. Who showed it to you? Love. What did he show? Love. Why did he show it? For love. Hold yourself in love, and you shall know more of the same. In time without end, you shall never know other than love.' Thus was I taught that love is our lord's meaning. And I saw with certainty in this and in all things that before God made us he loved us, which love has never decreased, nor never shall. And in this love, God has done all of his works, and in this love, God has made all things good for us. And in this love, our life is everlasting."

There is a poetry and a beauty there that I find amazingly comforting. 

Tell someone you love them today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment