Wednesday, April 15, 2009

It must be Spring, as I have painted my toenails blue

Right. In case you couldn't tell from the title of this post, I'm feeling a little random today.

Visited the amazing Twin Cities Fencing Club last night. It felt a bit like coming home. I'm officially back in training tomorrow. I am really, really excited. 

I finished rereading through the novel draft this afternoon. I have a pretty detailed list of things that I need to change or move around or think about. But I feel good about the shape that the story is in overall. It's not as good as it's going to be (that's why I revise, and have lovely friends who give me useful feedback, and with whom I can have odd conversations about ravens and games of not-chess and creepy eyeless things in the library) but it is solid. There is something there, and I'm telling the story in the right way. So I'm looking forward to working on it, and making it better.

There were wood hyacinths blooming along the path that I run. 

If you looking for something new and wonderful to read, and you're not reading this already, try Locke & Key. It's a comic, written by the mind-blowingly talented Joe Hill and drawn by Gabriel Rodriguez.  The story is creepy and complex and gorgeous. Also, I can tell you the exact moment that I went from fan to squealing fangirl: the boat was named "Kelly Link." Coolest. Name-check. Ever. (I brought that issue with me to Clarion to show her, and she was completely surprised and flattered. And blushed. Fuchsia.)


  1. My toenails were blue last week, and now they are a luscious purple so dark they look black. Good luck on the novel rewrite! :D

  2. I'm so happy you'll be fencing again.

    It is Spring here, too, but I have to ignore it because of my argument on Monday. Hopefully it will still be Spring on Tuesday! (You never know in DC.)