Friday, April 3, 2009

A rose by any other name

My sister used to have BlondTxGrl as her email address. And she was, indeed, a blond girl from Texas, so as descriptive names go, that one was a win. However, some of the, oh, let's go with "less savory" denizens of the internet made certain assumptions about my sister based on that name. Assumptions that led to them sending her photographs of a personal nature. Needless to say, that is no longer part of her email address.

I recently joined Twitter. If you want, you can find me there as @KatWithSword. Which I thought was a pretty safe name. However, there does seem to be a contingent of people on Twitter who feel like a woman with a sword is the archaic weapons version of the Guns and Ammo bikini girl. 

Guys, no. I am a foil fencer. I wear a lot of protective clothing when I fence. Four layers over my shirt. And I wear pants. 

Sorry to disappoint you.

5 comments:

  1. So, have you taken up competitive fencing again? Or is it "simply" your preferred way of getting a good workout? (Of course, "simple" is relative...)

    On another note, I'm thinking SteffiLuvsBodyGlide is not going to be my Twitter name after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steffi, you are awesome.

    Right now I'm just dabbling with the fencing, mostly for writing purposes. But I've been increasingly wanting to come out of retirement, so I may go visit my former coach and club and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following you on Twitter, but that's because A) Neil Gaiman follows you and I trust his opinion and B) I liked the choice of name (but I never associated it with you being scantily clad).

    I think the main reason I did it is I've had a few random people follow me on Twitter and they've turned out to be pretty cool people and I thought I'd see who else I could meet on there. I hope I haven't given the wrong impression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, Tim, you're fine. As are most people. Twitter is great fun. I was just a little surprised, and mostly amused by a couple of messages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CatWithEgg is now following SteffiLuvsBodyGlide

    ReplyDelete