Sunday, April 26, 2009

Troll's Eye View

From a reader's perspective, there are very few things that make me happier than the publication of a new Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling anthology. I've found some of my favorite writers in the books that they've edited, and reading their collections has helped me think about the kind of writer I want to be, and the kind of stories I want to tell.

Their latest offering, Troll's Eye View, is my new favorite. The authors (who read like a who's who of my best beloveds -- Peter S. Beagle, Delia Sherman, Ellen Kushner, Jane Yolen, Midori Snyder, Garth Nix, Neil Gaiman, Kelly Link, and oh, honestly, if I keep going it'll just be the list of contributors in its entirety), were asked to think about fairy tales from the perspective of the villains. It's a wonderful concept, not the least because it causes the reader to think about what it means to be the one who gets to tell the story.

I vastly enjoyed each of the entries in this collection. I found myself smiling over the inclusion of "speculative fiction" as one of the offerings of Evil Wizard Books in Delia Sherman's "Wizard's Apprentice" and mumbling, "Well, and of course they would have," after reading the last line of Neil Gaiman's "Observing the Formalities." And the prickly strangeness of Kelly Link's "The Cinderella Game" is going to haunt me for quite some time.

Troll's Eye View is a fabulous anthology. Buy two copies, because if you loan it out, you won't get it back.

1 comment:

  1. Man. I wanted to check if we have this. Silly memory, so unreliable.
    Will now have to wait until tomorrow. Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete