Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sometime the clothes do not make the man

Or the woman, as the case may be.

I always get grumpy when I am working on Joan of Arc. Not because I dislike her, or her text. Quite the opposite, actually. I've been fascinated with Joan for most of my life (girls with swords have to stick together.) And the more I learned about her, the more fascinated I became. Like King Arthur, she had a miraculous sword. (Hers was pulled from under the altar stone at the church of Ste. Catherine de Fierbois.) Gilles de Rais, the man who became known as Bluebeard, served under her in the French army. And she was brave, and articulate. 

And she was burned to death when she was nineteen. Because she wore men's clothing.

So I get a little bit grumpy when I write about her. 

Which is why I have been watching this video, (link will auto-play) over and over, for the past few days. It has some of my favorite sorts of things in: art in a public place, spontaneous dance. And it makes me happy. And until I am done with this dissertation chapter, I could use the reminder that there is joy and beauty and creation in the world. 

7 comments:

  1. I had no idea how very much I needed to see something like that. Groove! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun. I wish I'd been there to join in the dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes. I love that video. I've watched it many, many times. It is one of those very happy moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find this so terribly hypnotic and vaguely disturbing.

    However, it does make me want to instigate guerilla dance moments in public spaces. Although, in SF, people might just grumble and say, oh dear not another one.

    At certain places in Montreal in August though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like so much fun. I wish I had been there, too.

    And yes, Megan, I completely agree about Montreal. Nothing in "Don'ts for Dancers" prohibits this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I needed that, too. We have house inspection tomorrow, and Niels will be teaching in Europe for two weeks. :-(. But this video is so uplifting! I'll think about it the next time I'm in potentially dreary public places, e.g. an airport, and I'll just imagine that everyone is only a moment away from starting a dance...! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we could still do things like this in NYC without having to apply for a permit, pay through the nose, go to court, etc. No room for guerrilla dance movements here, people. :(

    ReplyDelete