Monday, June 1, 2009

Current bits of happiness

Blah blah dissertation revisions, blah blah novel revision, and yes, that's about how the writing is going, thanks. Send chocolate.

Rather than wangsting on about all of that, I will tell you about some things that are making me happy right now.

1. The Unwritten. Honestly, I picked this up because of Yuko Shimizu's cover art. I saw the issue at DreamHaven, and thought, why yes, this is the sort of thing that I want to read. And it is. I'm sort of a sucker for anything that explores the power of the stories that we tell ourselves, and I really enjoyed this. Right now, you can buy the issue for $1. You should.

2. Zoë Keating's "one cello x 16: natoma" I heard Zoë Keating open for the also utterly fabulous Amanda Palmer, and fell in love with the music. This recording is extraordinary. I've been writing to it, putting it on to listen to while I sleep, playing it while I do annoying household chores -- if it were a cassette, I would have worn it out by now.

3. Palimpsest, by Catherynne M. Valente. My friend Sarah told me that she thought this was my kind of book. She was right. I feel like I will have more to say about it, but for now, if you like deep, rich prose, elegant language, and haunting cities that are terrible and beautiful at the same time, you should read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment