Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

My Dad travels a lot. Once, when I was flying home from law school, we ran into each other at the Atlanta airport. As we walked through to catch our flight, there was a chorus of greetings from the airport employees: "Hi Mr. Howard." "Is that your daughter in law school, Mr. Howard?" "Are the rest of the kids already home for Christmas?" Everyone knew him. Like I said, he travels a lot.

For all that he was gone a lot, I don't remember him ever missing anything important. I remember him being there. Even for the small stuff, like the Girl Scout Father and Daughter Day that we would go to in the summer. We would sing the Little Bunny Foo Foo song (and my Dad has an enormous voice, so when he sings Little Bunny Foo Foo, it stays sung) and roast marshmallows, and go canoeing, and those are some of my best memories of him. Out together on the lake, in the sun, not even needing to talk, just knowing my Dad was there, at my back. 

Thanks Dad, for always being there, and for always having my back. Happy Father's Day. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment