Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Whoa

This morning, I scheduled my dissertation defense. Barring Armageddon, it will be at 12:30, Monday 24 August. (For a moment there, I thought about counting the days. But I think not.)

It's a weird feeling, having that on the calendar. Not because I wonder if I'm ready. I am ready. I've been working on this project for three years. My fabulous advisor has read countless chapter drafts, and my committee has signed off on all of them.

But suddenly, there's a concrete date for After. And I sort of know what I'm going to do. For a week, I'm making everyone call me Doctor. And I'll be writing. I am so excited about the next novel. But just the idea that there will be something else, that for the first time since kindergarten I won't being going back to school in the fall, it's a little strange.

2 comments: