Monday, August 31, 2009

And it's not my nose, it's a false one!

I am currently revising a short story, about dueling and Laws of Science and saints and Jesuits. Well, fictionalized Jesuits, anyway.

As part of this, I've been researching scientists. Today, I discovered that astronomer Tycho Brahe lost part of his nose in a dueling accident when he was twenty, and wore a false nose of gold and silver for the rest of his life. Scientists and dueling, all in one! I was including him anyway, for reasons I'm going to keep to myself for now, but that just makes it even better.

3 comments:

  1. Gaston Maurice Julia, an early fractal mathematician, also had a false nose. But his was much less fancy, just a leather thing that hooked around his ears with straps.

    www.gap-system.org/~history/PictDisplay/Julia.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. That sounds like the Enlightenment equivalent of flaming. Of course, I'm sure there are times many of us have wished for a quick rapier thrust at a troll. (Usenet meaning, not spec fic meaning)

    ReplyDelete
  3. E.j. that link is awesome. It turns out that Tycho may have had a variety of noses, (one high in copper content, as post-mortem analysis suggests) that he wore on different occasions.

    I love that learning things like this counts as work.

    ReplyDelete