Saturday, September 5, 2009

Because I want to remember this

I don't know what was being celebrated - the last weekend of summer, the first weekend of fall, or simply a beautiful Saturday night. There were neighbors, and friends, and large silly dogs. Smores were made, sticky with marshmallows toasted on thin skewers. Small girls spun me in a circle to "Dancing Queen" and we twirled until the stars came out. Some sort of running game was played, wherein I was tapped on the head and declared a red-headed goose. A boy in a Spiderman shirt told me I could be Batman, and caught me in a butterfly net, because I might be a bad guy. Children piled into my lap until we fell over, "from too much love." And it was wonderful, and perfect, the kind of night I want to hold in my memory always.

No comments:

Post a Comment