Monday, October 19, 2009

Well, that was unexpected

Last week I started a short story. Actually, let me clarify: last week I started what was supposed to be a short story. Clever readers that you are, you will have determined from the emphasis in that sentence that something altogether different happened. As I was writing (and writing and writing) I kept thinking "oh! you need to go back and add a lot of detail there!" and "but you already have all these words and you still have so many more you need to write." So, because I'm sure it's a good idea to have three (3) novels in progress at once, last night I finally admitted to myself that the story idea I was working with was a lot longer than a short story. I am pleased (?) to introduce you to (very working title) That Sweet Sleep of Death. It's about onieromancy, and psychopomps and the last dream between life and death, and in-between people and places. It's about living in a city where the dead dream, and dreams walk the streets.

My brain has decided right now that I write at two lengths - flash fiction (under 1000 words) or novel length. In theory, I don't have a problem with this. I like writing flash because the form frees me up to feel like I can experiment with ways to tell a story, but without a huge investment of time if the experiment winds up exploding. And I love the larger playground that the length of a novel gives me. And I'm certainly not complaining about being in the position of having multiple projects that I'm enjoying working on. But it would be nice to find a happy medium in between those two lengths as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment