Friday, November 13, 2009

Trust me, I'm a doctor

Doing literary analysis is hard. Oh sure, not like brain surgery hard, or airplane design hard, but it's one of those things that can be tricky.

Doing analysis of an actual work of literature within the text of a work of fiction, in a manner which is both accessible to the lay person and interesting enough to make said lay person actually want to read it, because it provides Important Clues about the Plot (and, oh yes, remembering to provide those clues) while in character is... well, it's so far beyond hard that writing this scene has fried my brain and I can't think of the right word to describe that level of difficulty.

Seriously, I feel like I should send this scene on to my advisor in the hopes of talking the U out of another doctorate.


  1. This is perhaps only slightly related, but... THE FRENCH MATHEMATICIAN by Tom Petsinis was one of the very first books that made me really comprehend that someone could be passionate about a subject that was totally cold and alien to me. The novel itself was only ok, but I just remember the shock of realizing, really and truly, that someone could be as in love with math as I am with art.

    I'm confident that you will do the same. Er, with literary analysis, I mean. Hurrah for revision!

  2. Thanks. Oddly enough, this has been one of the most difficult parts of the book to get in there. I think because I never actually believed people were interested in the dissertation when they asked about it, and so I believed even less that a similar sort of thing belonged in a work of fiction.