Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Home for the holidays

Sam I Am and I got to my parents' beautiful home in New Hampshire yesterday. It's a little odd to be here - this is the third house for them in as many years. This isn't a place I know, this isn't the image that forms in my head when I think of "home."

But in ways that have nothing to do with place and geography, this is home. My parents are here, both of my brothers will be. Even Sam's mom and sister live here. The decorations on the trees are the same as they have always been, the same cookies are in the tins (this year, with the addition of Zombie Gingerbread Men). It is a different fireplace, but the same stockings will hang over it. It is both new, and utterly familiar.

I have never been here before, but I am glad to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment