Monday, January 25, 2010

Adjutrix quondam, adjutrixque futurus

One of the most important decisions I made in grad school was the choice of my advisor. Thankfully, I got that one really, really right. Becky was not only someone who I thought of as a brilliant scholar and the type of instructor I wanted to be, but also became someone that I feel fortunate to call my friend.

Last night, I got an email from her that reminded me both how much I enjoyed working with her, and how well she knows me. She's teaching a course in King Arthur in Literature this semester, and they are beginning with T. H. White's The Once and Future King. The relevant part of the email was the statement "I wish you were the TA for the class. I could have made you dress up like the Questing Beast, and you would have been fine with that."*

She's right.


* She knows this because the list of things that I (by request) dressed up as or did in her classes includes, but is not limited to: attending class as Lady Macbeth and the Wife of Bath (not on the same day), participating as her foil in a loud and vigorous extemporaneous swearing contest based on the vocabulary of Prince Hal and Falstaff, and being cast as Nicholas in a class performance of "The Miller's Tale." Including the bits at the window.


  1. For an English class, I also dressed up like the Wife of Bath. And I read her tale entirely in a British accent. It was so much fun.

    This entry made me smile. A lot of yours have. I stumbled on your blog yesterday (from Twitter), and I'm really glad I did.

  2. What a lovely thing to say! Thank you so much.

    I'm teaching the Chaucer course next semester. I'm pretty sure dressing up will be involved.