Friday, January 1, 2010

In the beginning

And so there it is: new day, new month, new year, new decade. Endless possibilities, stretched out before you. Not that every day isn't a new possibility, but today, well, today is one of those that is especially symbolic.

Think of what the time means: a day, a month, a year, a decade. Think back to what you were doing each of those time periods ago, and contemplate what has changed between then, and now. There was a meme going around twitter yesterday, where people were saying what they were doing ten years ago. As I said there, I was halfway through law school, and had never written a short story. If you had shown it to me, I wouldn't have recognized the life I have now. But each step I took then brought me closer to here. And here, now, I am happy.

Do you want to make a change? You can. Today can be the start of something new, something amazing, something you've always wanted to do. Paint a picture, write a story. Learn a language, a musical instrument, a new skill. Today can be the day you decide to be your better self. And I don't mean that in the self-help, personal improvement sort of way, but in the way of being the most you that you can be. What will make you happy, make you feel that you have accomplished something, make you proud of yourself? Today, you can begin to do that thing.

Today, everything is new. And you have time, stretching out before you. A day, a month, a year, a decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment