Monday, February 1, 2010

Re-entering the hallowed halls

I spent the day dreaming up imaginary syllabi. Not the kind of imagining that I usually do.

I have a job interview this week, as part of the fellowship I was awarded. No, I'm not going to say where. It just seems more polite, in case that's not where I wind up. But I will say, based on what they would want me to teach - medieval lit, and fantasy lit, and creative writing - I'm really excited. 

One of the things that you do in academic job interviews is talk about the sort of classes you might want to teach, and the sort of research that you want to do. So I got to imagine the kind of classes that I always wanted to take, and how I would teach those: Shakespeare as Fantasist, where we could look at Hamlet as a ghost story and think about what it means that there are witches in The Scottish play and that The Tempest is a story about a wizard. I could teach a course on the medieval roots of modern fantastic literature and a King Arthur in Literature course that has Cooper and Kay and Bear and Valente and Gaiman on the syllabus along with Malory and White. I can write an article about Julian of Norwich's Revelation of Love and Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time and a book on Shakespeare in Sandman. It's a new kind of imagining, and I'm thrilled to get the chance to do it.


  1. You make me want to take Professor Kat's classes...

  2. Excellent. (Rubs hands together in glee.)