Tuesday, March 30, 2010


Every so often, I like to browse through the list of Amazon's recommendations to me. This can sometimes be a very strange experience: my purchase of a season of "The West Wing" on DVD resulted in the suggestion that I might want to buy a My Little Pony. (I did not.) And buying Ellen Kushner's fabulous The Privilege of the Sword generated the recommendation of, well, this. (NO. Also, why? Also, only a brainless ninny fences in a cape and with that much exposed skin.)

This weekend, I had the rather surreal experience of Amazon recommending that I buy Stories, the anthology edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio that I am fortunate enough to have a story in. My first thought was something along the lines of "Wow, Amazon thinks I am a raging egomaniac." That probably would have been my last thought, too, had I not just finished reading my advance copy. Since I had, I thought, well, in this case, Amazon got it right.

Stories is amazing.* Every story in here does what I love best about fiction - it makes me think about things in a different manner than I did before I read it. They engage with what it means to tell a story, what kind of power the creation of a narrative wields. Some of them - Elizabeth Hand's "The Maiden Flight of McCauley's Bellerophon," Jodi Picoult's** "Weights and Measures" and Joe Hill's "The Devil on the Staircase" - I've already read twice. I feel like I got invited to sit at the cool kids' table, and they turned out to actually be cool. Neil, Al, thank you for inviting me to be a part of this.

* When I refer to the book, I'm not referring to my story. I try not to be a raging egomaniac. Also, other than noting that I am really proud of "A Life in Fictions," I can't speak in a useful way about it.

** I've given my sister Jodi Picoult books for pretty much every gift-giving occasion in recent memory. Getting to be in the same anthology with her means that I am totally the Most Awesome Big Sister Ever.


  1. Let me pipe up and say that "A Life in Fictions," at least the draft I read (and I'm sure that any changes only made it better), is AMAZING, does all those good things that Kat talks about, and totally deserves to be at the cool kids's table.

    Just so you know, oh audience of Kat's blog.

  2. *blushes* Thanks, Megan, so much, for that.

  3. You were the Most Awesome Big Sister Ever even before ending up in a book with Jodi Picoult

  4. Because that is an awesome compliment, I will refrain from pointing out that I am also your only big sister. :)

    Seriously, thank you. You made my day.