Sunday, March 7, 2010

Things that make me happy today

1. I can hear the water trickling down the street as the piles of snow melt. The insanely excessive winters are one thing I am really not going to miss about Minneapolis. I hate the cold, and am pretty much over snow. So this early sign of spring delights me. (Yes, in Minneapolis, snow melting in March is an early sign of spring.) There may even be a walk later, to see if the ice has melted enough to make it safe to run again.


2. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, the amazing debut novel from N. K. Jemisin. This book is as good as its hype. Yeine is a strong, smart, complex character (all the characters here are well-drawn), the world is not another faux-medieval, faux-European setting, and the events of the book are sometimes cruel, and often more than they seem. I cannot wait for the next volume. If you like well-written fantasy, you want to read this.


3. Peter Gabriel's new album of covers, Scratch My Back. I love it when a cover makes me rethink the original. This is such an insightful set of interpretations. I'm particularly enjoying the harrowing take on Arcade Fire's "My Body is a Cage," and the lovely, lovely version of The Magnetic Fields' "The Book of Love."

No comments:

Post a Comment