Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I am a jester in the ancient court

Switching to a new project seems to have been the right idea. As I noted on Twitter yesterday, I got more writing done in one eighteen hour stretch than I had in the previous two weeks. (And then I wrote some more after that.) What feels even better than then simple act of being able to actually sit down and write again is the fact that I don't feel like I'm constantly pushing myself out of my way as I set things down on the page. I can see enough ahead of myself to feel like I am writing towards something, rather than desperately trying to just keep up with where I am. I've also settled into a comfortable voice and vocabulary for the project, current working title, Seen.

I'm also thinking about going back through my notebooks of ideas and unfinished beginnings and seeing if anything else catches my fancy. I work much better - less emotional drama, more efficiently - when I am working on multiple projects (and maybe that was part of my problem with The Widening Gyre as well, as, except for occasional bouts of short story, that was the only major project I was working on). Currently I'm poking at doing course prep for the fall, but that's a thinking project, not a writing one, and the Shakespeare and Sandman nonfiction thingie (yes, that is the technical academic term) is still in the research stage. (Current working title: Kings of Infinite Space.) Because I am an enormous nerd, research never feels enough like work to me to mentally qualify as an alternate project, and it especially won't right now, as I've gotten through the main secondary texts I wanted to look at and am about to commence rereading Sandman. (Yes, yes, my life is hard, that this is what I do for my job.) So I think I need to add one more thing to the mix in order to be balanced.

(Or maybe I could just put in another parenthetical, as this post is rife with them.)


No comments:

Post a Comment