Sunday, April 11, 2010

This is not my beautiful house

The big news here is that my house is sold. I signed the purchase agreement last weekend, and the buyer's inspection was this past week. No repairs were requested, so everything is official. Closing will be 28 May, at which point I will leave for Stony Brook, NY. 

I am completely thrilled. For the small reason that, oh dear Lord, having the house on the market was the most annoying thing ever. I had a great and patient realtor, who didn't make me do a lot of staging or any of that sort of silliness, but there were people who came through who were not awesome. Even though it was only on the market for 13 days, I was ready to be done.

I'm thrilled for the larger reason that hurrah! now I do not have to pay a mortgage and utilities on a house I am not living in while simultaneously paying rent on Long Island. My fellowship is a good one, but it is not a never-empty bag of money. It's also nice to be able to just go, keeping only the ties to this place that I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment