Thursday, July 29, 2010

Linger: Soundtrack

I almost always have music on when I write. I realize for some people, this is an abomination unto the Lord, but for me, hearing the story in my head is the way into the story. This means that for longer projects, I make playlists. 

So, for those of you who like this sort of thing, here is the playlist for But I Linger On, Dear. There were other things I listened to as well, but this is the closest thing to an official track listing. (Oh, and if you want context: the elevator pitch for this novel is "Buffy meets Camelot with corporeal nightmares. And fencing.")

"Take to the Sky (Russia)" Tori Amos. When I wrote the short story at Clarion that became this novel, this is the song that started it. "Here I stand, with a sword in my hand." Pretty much Aislinn's theme song.

"Spem in Alium" composed by Thomas Tallis. I alternated between the King's College Choir version, and Peter Gregson's cello take on the piece. This is the song I always listen to if I have to write something particularly horrible or emotionally difficult, because it is the most beautiful piece of music ever. 

"Dream a Little Dream" So many different versions. The song from which I stole my title.

"The Point of it All" Amanda Palmer. "but you've got the needle, I guess that's the point of it all"

"Running Up That Hill" Kate Bush. "If I only could, I'd make a deal with God, and get him to swap our places"

"Dress Up in You" Belle and Sebastian. [Spoilers]

"Icarus" Jason Webley. "My flesh and spirit keep colliding when her fingers are inside me"

"Cruel" Tori Amos. This became the theme song for Aislinn's antagonist.

"My Body is a Cage" Peter Gabriel. Because holy cats, the strings in this arrangement are amazing.

"The Scientist" Aimee Mann. "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be so hard"

"Ophelia" Natalie Merchant. "Ophelia was a tempest, cyclone, a goddamn hurricane"

"Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" U2. [Spoilers]

No comments:

Post a Comment