Friday, August 20, 2010

An excerpt

I'm in the writerly equivalent of an armed truce with the work in progress right now. I think I'm rapidly approaching the "things fall apart" section of the writing process, and knowing I'll get through it doesn't make it any easier to walk into it.


But I kind of like this bit. (Which, yes, pretty much guarantees that it will get cut in revision, but I figured I'd share it with you now.)


From The Language of the Angels:


"At the beginning of the sound was a void, and the sound moved through it, and into darkness. And sound became song, and the song rang out over the darkness, filling it with chant and antiphon, with aria and polyphony, with the music of the spheres, and the language of the angels."

2 comments:

  1. I like the passage, too, especially when it's read aloud. Thanks for sharing here, so that even if it gets cut, I will have read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I actually read things aloud a lot as I write, to hear how the words fit together. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete