Saturday, August 21, 2010

I got a really good heart, I just can't catch a break

Yes, I've definitely hit the "things fall apart" section of the book. Where the writing actually becomes work, and I'm hit fairly regularly with the urge to light my manuscript on fire, because at least then it would serve some useful purpose. This happens, I know how to cope with it, and I won't actually light the manuscript on fire. Probably.

And while I would have preferred to keep writing at the pace I began at, this is about the best possible time for the book to start being tricksy, because classes start next week and I have to get ready to corrupt young minds educate our future.

So it seemed like as good of time as any to put together the first playlist for The Language of the Angels, which is a book that is full of music so there will be many playlists throughout the course of the writing. It's also early enough in the writing process that sometimes I don't know why the song sounds like the story, it just does.

"Down to Nowhere," Thea Gilmore. This book wouldn't exist without this song. When I was writing the short story that this began as, I contacted Thea to find out if I could use lyrics, and to get some information about when and where she had performed the song. She was utterly lovely, and very helpful, and I listened to this on obsessive repeat while writing.

"Spem in Alium," King's College Chapel Choir. Yes, the song that shows up on every playlist shows up again. But it's also featured in a key scene in the book.

"I Will Follow You Into the Dark," Amanda Palmer. Hits the emotional beats I need for the story.

"Come As You Are," Nirvana. Sometimes I need to be in high school head space. This song puts me there.

"Electric Feel," MGMT. "she's got the power in her hands to shock you like you won't believe"

"Personal Jesus," Depeche Mode.

"If I Should Fall From Grace With God," the Pogues.

"The Host of Seraphim," Dead Can Dance.

"Sympathy for the Devil," Natalie Merchant.  Not that I have anything against Mick and the boys, but I needed a bit more subtlety.

"Angels Never Call," 'Til Tuesday.

"Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole," Martha Wainwright. "I will not pretend, I will not put on a smile, I will not say I'm all right for you"

"Amazing Grace," Blind Boys of Alabama.

"High and Dry," Amanda Palmer. A friend described this song as being like prayer. Yeah.

"Hallelujah," Jeff Buckley.  Appears in a key scene in the story, a cold and broken hallelujah.

"Two," Ryan Adams. "I'm fractured from the fall, and I wanna go home"

"She Will Have Her Way," Neil Finn. "deathly silence and especially the dark"

No comments:

Post a Comment