Sunday, September 26, 2010

He is Ironman

I come from a pretty seriously athletic family. My cousin has a gold medal from the Athens Games. My sister trained with Károlyi. Yesterday, my brother Joe competed in an Ironman.


Here is what an Ironman is: a triathlon, consisting of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike, and then a marathon (26.2 mile run.) In a row. Without a break for a nap, or some snacks, or a two week period of recovery between those stages, which I'm guessing would be the minimum for a mere mortal to complete this race. Just one right after the other, as fast as possible.


I remember watching the Hawaii Ironman on television when I was younger, and wondering how people could do something like that. When I was 11 or 12, my swim team had a swim-a-thon, and I swam 2.4 miles, just to see what it was like. Even at a leisurely pace, in the comfortable, controlled environment of a pool, I was exhausted after. 


When I write, and I need to put myself in the mind of a character who is fierce, who is determined, who gets up long after she should have fallen down, I think about my brother Joe. He is officially an Ironman, and I am so proud it is ridiculous.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I feel tired just looking at those kind of distances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over the fact that the marathon is a *part* of the event. The last part. Congratulations to your amazing brother, and I think I would be proud as well. And awed.

    Given your athletic pedigree you know you'll have to do NY, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I could make my athletic pedigree run the race for me! Running is starting to feel fun again, though, so you're probably right.

    ReplyDelete