Monday, October 25, 2010

Love Song for a Vampire

I have been cured of my sadness over the general state of vampires.


The cure happened, as do all truly magic things, in three parts. The first of these was a gift from my incredibly wonderful friend Michelle. You know Bullseye, the Target dog? She sent me a Bullseye dressed as Dracula. He is even wearing the satin cape. I have named him Dogula, and he sits on my desk to help me write.


Dogula's influence is a powerful one, as the second part of the cure is my figuring out the vampire story I want to write. I don't want to say too much about it right now, other than the working title is Perfect.


Part three, the final nail in the coffin lid, if you will, is the brilliant and dark American Vampire. The first volume is written by Scott Snyder and Stephen King, and Rafael Albuquerque provides pitch-perfect art. Skinner Sweet could kick all of Team Edward's asses, and I'm a little in love with Pearl. These are the vampires I've been looking for.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm a long-time "lurker" here at your blog, and I always enjoy reading your new posts. I break my silence, hoping that's not overstepping bounds or something, since I never see many comments from "outsiders" here, but I wanted to tell you that I've been really curious about this vampire project you mentioned since you first wrote about it. Mainly because I am one of those who misses "that kind of vampire".
    For all my fascination with this creature, I haven't yet found a novel that made me say "that's it". So I understand your resolution of writing the story yourself. Hoping maybe someday I'll get to buy it from a shelf =)
    Good luck with the project(and everything else, for that matter!).
    (Sorry if what I wrote is not very clear. It's kind of late here in Italy, and, well, I'm italian. Therefore sorry for any mistake and the intrusion.)

    Alessia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alessia!

    Thank you for breaking your silence. Partly because I love when people comment, whether I know them in real life or not, but also because it makes me ridiculously happy that someone in Italy is reading my blog. You made my evening.

    As to the vampire project, I don't want to say too much right now - I can't really, as it's still taking shape in my head, and I know how it feels, but I don't know how to write about it other than to write the story, if that makes sense. But once I get a better, or different, grip on it, I'll share more.

    Thanks again for saying hello.

    ReplyDelete