Monday, October 11, 2010

One of Us

A few years ago, my high school made me incredibly proud. It announced the formation of a group dedicated to the support of its LGBT students. The first thing I did, when I saw the alumni bulletin, was email the principal, one of the founding members of the group, and thank him, and tell him how proud I was of my alma mater. 

Then I cried.

My high school, it's Catholic. Unfortunately, we live in a world where not only Catholics, but people who call themselves Christians from all denominations continually fail the LGBT community. We fail to act with love, with support, with any kind of behavior that might reasonably be recognized as Christian. This has to stop.

Because if you consider yourself to be a Christian, you don't need to ask whether or not God is one of us. You already have your answer: Genesis tells us that everyone, male and female, was created in the image and likeness of God. Jesus, in the Gospel of Matthew, tells us that whatsoever we have done to another, we have done to him. We are called to accept that God is in everyone, that the way we treat other people is the way we treat God.

We are called to love one another. And I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean the hateful actions that fall under the category of "love the sinner, hate the sin." I call shenanigans on that rubbish. Love one another means exactly that. So on this Coming Out Day, I challenge all of us to come out as Christians, and to hold all of our brothers and sisters securely in love.


  1. Thanks for your post. It is time for the Church (with a capital C) to step up and stop alienating the Gay community. It's time we reach out and begin helping these people rather than abusing them.

    Here is a great article about the whole "Love the sinner, hate the sin" cop out.

  2. This was an excellent post. I was raised Catholic, although I don't really attend church anymore. I know a number of Christians who are horribly judgmental and use their religion as justification. I've always questioned that and argued against it (respectfully, of course). Because I don't think it's anyone's place to judge anyone else.

    Love and acceptance can do so much. Thanks for posting this. I'll be retweeting your link shortly. :-)

  3. Thanks for writing. Many times my students are shocked to find out I'm a Christian--they haven't experience much love or sympathy from the church, so it's my chance to right some of those wrongs. Sigh.

  4. Alan: thanks for the link. I am always happy to see someone genuinely wrestling with their assumptions.

    Ali: "Love and acceptance can do so much." Exactly.

    Nancy: That's how I feel as well. I pray for the day we no longer have to apologize for the wrongs of our churches.