Wednesday, January 19, 2011

She saved the world. A lot.

Buffy Summers turns 30 today. Which is a fairly impressive achievement for a woman who once sang the lyric, "Hey, I've died twice."


I didn't watch Buffy when the show was on tv. My reaction, when it started, was, "But I like vampires. Why would I want to watch a show about a Slayer?" I decided I would after a law school faculty party, where I overheard a less than flattering mention of myself, which provoked the response, "What did you expect? You married Buffy Summers."


I have never been blonde or a cheerleader. I bought the entire series the next day.


And I love it. As far as I'm concerned, season 5 of Buffy is the most perfect single season of television I've ever seen. I love the show, and Buffy, in a way that - while I realize there were flaws and missteps over the course of the run, and can talk in depth about the things I didn't quite like - means I can't fully articulate why it is I love the show as much as I do, why Buffy is a character who speaks to me as truly as she does.


It's just my show. Buffy is my hero. The elevator pitch for the novel formerly known as Linger is "It's like Buffy meets Camelot with fencing."


She saved the world, and on some days, I think she saved parts of me, too. She's my younger sister's age, but still the person I want to be when I grow up.


Happy Birthday, Buffy.

7 comments:

  1. Buffy is 30? Man does that make me feel old! Just happened across your blog a few days ago...I'm enjoying what I've read so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, and for saying hello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Buffy! I've never been able to clearly articulate why I like her so much, either, tho' the mythology fascinates me as much as She the Hero and other central characters. Have you read any of the comics? "Tales of the Slayers" and "Tales of the Vampires" are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read "Fray" and the Season 8 comics, but I'll be sure to pick up the other two. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started watching Buffy when it began on tv (I was one of three people who enjoyed the movie in all its campy goodness -- due, in no small part, to Luke Perry). I was hooked. Buffy was smart, witty, strong, and vulnerable. She was relate-able (I'm not sure that's even a word, but I've only had three sips of coffee). To this day, the show is my go-to feel good, pick me up, watch it when I'm sick with the flu show.

    It's amazing how much of that show found its way into my leixcon. She kicked ass. She solved problems that weren't solveable -- and she overcame things that were impossible. She was always just an ordinary-extraordinary girl, with a keen fashion sense.

    And Kat? Buffy meets Camelot with fencing? I cannot wait to read that. ~Ali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali - I'm pretty sure relatable is a word. Even if it isn't, it ought to be, and talking about Buffy is a perfect place for making up new words.

    Also, go have some more coffee, you madwoman! Only three sips?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat~ *grin* I'm making cappuccino right now -- French vanilla, specifically. :-)

    ReplyDelete