Tuesday, January 4, 2011

That thing we do

The nominating period for the Hugo awards is open, and we're in the middle of the nominating period for the Nebulas, and so everyone is posting their lists of eligible works. I feel mildly uncomfortable about doing this, because I only published two short stories in 2010, but honestly, I'd probably feel mildly uncomfortable about doing this if I had published 20 short stories, a six-issue comic arc, and a best-selling novel. And when it comes down to it, I'm proud of what I've written, and I'd be honored to have my stories considered. So:


"A Life in Fictions." In Stories, edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio


"Beauty and Disappearance." In Weird Tales


I am also in my first year of eligibility for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (which is not a Hugo, but the same rules for who can nominate apply). I am so very aware that the odds of someone who has only published two short stories being nominated for this award can charitably be called "minuscule," but technically you only need one publication to be nominated, and hey, if you want to nominate me, I'm certainly not going to stop you.


If you are eligible to nominate (meaning for the Nebulas, you are an active or associate member of SFWA, and for the Hugos you had a membership to Aussiecon 4 or you become a member of Renovation 2011 before 31 January) and would like to read either or both of these stories, I will happily send you the files - there is a contact link in my profile. Thank you for your consideration.

2 comments:

  1. I am so very aware that the odds of someone who has only published two short stories being nominated for this award can charitably be called "minuscule,"

    And yet it does happen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes. You could speak as something of an expert on that.

    ReplyDelete