Thursday, April 28, 2011

Symphony Space

Last night's Selected Shorts event was amazing. Extraordinary. Magic.


Marin Ireland, the actress who read (and it seems to wrong to say read, because she did so much more - performed? illuminated?) "A Life in Fictions" was utterly perfect. What she did was make the story on stage sound like the one in my head. It was a kind of magic. I am so impressed by her talent. (Another particularly brilliant kind of magic happened during the reading of Neil Gaiman's "The Thing About Cassandra." Subscribe to the Selected Shorts podcast now, because you are not going to want to miss hearing that. Wow.)


And I met so many wonderful people, who were kind enough to say hello to me, and to offer kind  words about my story. If that was you, thank you. 


My Mom was there, and it was such a thrill to get to introduce her to some of the people I love, and for her to be able to see something I was so honored to be a part of.



8 comments:

  1. Hello! I met you after the show at the signing table last night (I may have overly-ranted about the "boy fiction" comment), so I just wanted to drop in and say hi, and tell you that I am enjoying reading your blog (somewhat in reverse)!

    People like you and Neil make my fingers and brain itch to write again, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely did not overly rant. I really enjoyed talking with you. Thanks so much for saying hi here, too.

    And I hope you do start writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved your story, loved marin's performance ... i'm still thinking about it and mulling ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you! You are one cool, talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, thank you so much. You just gave me such a huge smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful! I can't wait to hear what it sounded like. And I'm so glad that you put some pictures on Twitter!

    I quite liked "The Thing About Cassandra." Actually, I remember being absolutely and completely creeped out by it. Er, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to take more pictures, but then things kept happening, and I forgot about the camera.

    I was really happy that one of the kind women who worked at Symphony Space took that shot of Mom and me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy it went so, so well. Things like this make me smiley. You're a wonderful writer, and it's good to see fantastic things happening for you. :-) ~Ali

    ReplyDelete