Friday, May 13, 2011

A moment of celebration

The grading is going well so far - the thing I've loved best about this semester's Chaucer class is that they've taken the coursework so seriously. Not every class does, and it's a treat to watch a group of people enthusiastically try to wrap their brains around something. And the semester-long theme of Chaucer and modernity has made for some really smart, outside of the traditional scholarly box, final papers. They couldn't have given me a better present.

But that's not the thing I'm talking about in the title of this post.

When I got back from Clarion, I had two big writerly goals. One was to successfully finish and defend my dissertation (sure, it's not speculative fiction, but it was speculative theology, and it was book length. Besides, what self-respecting geek doesn't want to be the Doctor?) I did that a year later, in 2009. The other, was to take my week 5 story, what Geoff Ryman told me was a novel I had tried to cram into 2500 words, and actually turn it into a novel. And have that be the novel I successfully queried agents with.

I am so, so happy to tell you that I am now represented by Joe Monti(And yes, that is the exciting personal development that I was secrety about in the last post.)

I wish I could hug all of you right now. 


  1. OMG!!!! Kat, that's great news! Joe is like, the coolest, most awesomest, neatest agent in the world! I'm so, so happy for you.

    Giant super-mega hugs!

  2. That is terrific news! Congratulations...

  3. I meant to comment on this AGES ago, and to say (because one cannot say it too much or too often) that I am so, so happy about this, so pleased and proud of you. Congratulations! Again! And again and again!

  4. Thank you, thank you, Megan. (Lord knows you read enough drafts, and held my hand enough that I couldn't have done this without you.) I'm pretty much still grinning like a fiend every time I get to say "my agent" in conversation.

  5. Congratulations! Best to you!!!