Monday, June 27, 2011

Progress report

Status of the revision: on schedule
Casualties so far: one porch light
Amount of coffee consumed: no more than normal


I spent the first two days of this revision going very carefully through all of the notes on my manuscript, both the ones my agent gave me, and the ones I generated in response to the things I needed to think about. I printed out and marked up the manuscript, and also wrote about three pages worth of things that needed to be altered as I revised. Then I counted pages, and divided by days before my deadline, and made myself a schedule.


It's a schedule that's designed to 1. not kill me, and 2. get me finished before the deadline. Partially, this is for practical reasons - I handwrite my edits, like I do everything else, so I'll need to type once I'm finished. But also this is for "life happens" reasons. I woke up Saturday morning with mild food poisoning, and then found out that a family dog had died in her sleep the night before. These are not things that make it easier to write. I really hope not to need to take time off for sad reasons again, but I also want to have room to take time off for fun reasons - to see friends, or walk on the beach, or do something lovely to clear my head and refresh my soul.


It's also a schedule that gives me time to think. Just because I know I have to fix [redacted] doesn't mean I know how. And once I figure out how, well, then there's actually translating that on to the page. Which sometimes means reblocking a fight scene, which explains the porch light casualty reference above. I killed it with my sword. Writing is hardcore and merciless.


*****


Speaking of writing, paying to attend writers' workshops can be hardcore and merciless, too. Clarion is currently holding its Write-a-thon, designed to help fund the workshop. The more funding it gets, the easier it will be for writers to afford to go. I am not participating (due to not being able to figure out how to make my deadlines match up in any reasonable way with the timing of the Write-a-thon, and saying, "well, I'll be writing a lot" to potential sponsors seemed very nebulous to me), but at least two of my classmates are, Ferrett Steinmetz, and Keffy Kehrli. So you could sponsor them, or any of the other participating writers, and if you did, I would think you were awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry about your family dog. That is very sad and sort of unfixable by everything except living.

    And I send you good thoughts for revision. It's always such a beast, but sometimes a satisfying and oddly comforting one to wrestle. I can't wait to read the finished version of this novel. Seriously. Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete