Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Birds, snakes, and aeroplanes

I say all the time that I write to know what happens next. It's true - the reason outlining doesn't work for me is that if I know how the story ends, I have no interest whatsoever in writing my way towards it.


This is not without its occasional frustrations, such as writing to the end of a scene and then realizing I have no clue what happens next: Exit, pursued by a bear? Enter, chewed by velociraptor? Rocks fall, everyone dies?


It's a mystery.


The frustrations, however, are outweighed by those brief moments of perfection, where the gears in my head click into place, and I know that I have found the exact piece the story wanted.


Eureka, baby.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete