Wednesday, September 14, 2011

35

Today is my birthday. I am, as Dante was, before he headed off on a three-epic tour, midway through life's journey.


So maybe that's why I'm feeling introspective. I've felt weird about this birthday for a couple of months now. Not because I feel old, or uncomfortable about my age. I'm happy with my life - the way it looks, the things I've accomplished. I have regrets, but I don't think I'd want to live the kind of life where I didn't.


It turns out, as birthdays go, this was a good one. The people I love called and emailed and visited and tweeted and posted and sent cards and gifts and love. I felt connected, and blessed. Contracts came in the mail, for a short story that's going in an anthology that I am thrilled to be part of. This was not a surprise, as the check arrived a few days ago, but I liked receiving a tangible symbol of what I want from my life on a day where I was thinking about my life, and what it looked like. I taught a class, on a subject I loved, and had great conversations with my students. And as the day turns over, I will be writing.


So that is the shape of my life today. And I no longer feel weird about this day. I feel grateful for it. Thank you for sharing it with me.

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!

    If the title of your post is your age as of today, we are exactly the same age. (Well, give or take a few hours. I don't know what time I was actually born.)

    I occasionally comment on your LJ posts - I am karalianne over there. You have a career similar to the one I wish I had. *minor jealousy* :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. And happy birthday to you, too. I wish you so much happiness.

    Hurrah for birthday twins.

    (I haven't been cross-posting as much on LJ. I forget, or I don't want to bother re-entering all the links, etc. It's bad, I know, but oh, I've been busy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good birthday! Hopefully next year will go just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! A little late, but birthdays are a week-long event in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a happy birthday!

    Your blog is actually syndicated to LJ at http://strangeinkrss.livejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did.

    Also, whoa. I (obviously) had no idea. The internets are full of magic.

    ReplyDelete