Saturday, October 22, 2011

Would you like to hear something strange?

I love pretty much everything about October. The cooler weather, and the way that lends itself to cooking soups and stews. The smell of the leaves and the slant of the light. The reds and golds and ochers. Pumpkins and apples and cider. 


I also particularly love Hallowe'en. I love dressing up, and scary stories, and really, every part of the celebration. Including the music. I always make a playlist, and I generally ask Twitter to help. I got some great suggestions this year, some of which didn't make it on here because they didn't quite fit the mood, but I'm holding them in reserve.


Here it is:


1. Danse Macabre  - Béla Fleck (with Ben Sollee)
2. Every Day is Halloween - Ministry
3. Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
4.People are Strange - The Doors
5. Buffy Main Title Theme - The Breeders
6. Peek-A-Boo - Siouxsie and the Banshees
7.Transylvanian Concubine - Rasputina
8. Living Dead Girl - Rob Zombie
9. Bela Lugosi's Dead - Nouvelle Vague
10. This is Halloween - The Citizens of Halloweentown
11. The Killing Moon - Echo and the Bunnymen
12. Nemesis - Shriekback
13. Dead Man's Party - Oingo Boingo
14. Zombie Jamboree - Rockapella
15. Monster Mash - Bobby "Boris" Pickett
16. In the Hall of the Mountain King - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
17. A Forest - Bat for Lashes
18. Ramalama (Bang Bang) Róisín Murphy
19. L'il Red Riding Hood - Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs
20. Walk Like a Zombie - HorrorPops
21. Time Warp - The Rocky Horror Show Original Cast
22. Bad Moon Rising - Thea Gilmore
23. Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
24. Thriller  - Michael Jackson


If you have a favorite that I left off, please feel free to leave it in the comments. I'm always looking for more creepy music.

7 comments:

  1. Oooh! Oooh! Now I know what you mean by Hallowe'en music. Definitely give a listen to "Come Alive" by Janelle Monae--it is (to me) a quintessential spooky dance groove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! I think I would add Type 0 Negative's "Wolf Moon" to mine..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica - That is a great one. I can't believe I forgot it.
    Rebecca - I'll give that one a listen for sure. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You *could* add 'Synchronicity II' by The Police, to say nothing of the allegedly "creepy" 'Every Breath You Take'. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could you *possibly* omit Screamin Jay Hawkins 'I Put A Spell On You'?

    I dare say that *that* is a bona fide "sin of omission" and you must repent. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin - You're right. "I Put a Spell on You" would have been a terrific addition. My only excuse is absentmindedness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you agree ;) I lovez her.

    ReplyDelete