Friday, November 4, 2011

Reflections on the turning of the year

So here is the obligatory post-Convention write-up post. Though I'm never sure why these things are obligatory - to remember what happened, perhaps? I am as likely to forget the enormous hug by my collective Clarion class as I am to forget the early morning phone call from my most excellent pet-sitter, saying the police were in the yard because the insurance company forgot (!) to tow the hurricane-smashed PugBug as I am to forget being chatted up with my excellent friend Maria Dahvana Headley by the Jagermeister Spokesstrippers as I am to forget opening weeping while Neil Gaiman read "The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury" or gasping with laughter as Nalo Hopkinson read from her forthcoming YA novel, The Chaos.


That was pretty much my World Fantasy Convention. I saw the people I loved, never for long enough. I met new friends, and heard some excellent stories (I strongly prefer to go to readings over panels, as I love being read to.) I had dinner with my agency, and realized how very lucky I am to be part of such a terrific and talented collective of people. Throughout the weekend, I felt like a professional writer, not just in my own eyes, but in those of others.


And while I was gone, the seasons shifted. The last gasps of summer well and truly became fall, with pieces of winter sneaking through. These are the days of the dead, of saints and souls and turnings of the year. Endings and beginnings, and I cannot settle back in. I feel stretched too thin, and I cannot say why. Not lost, because I know where it is I need to be going, but off-kilter. 


I cannot say if the two things are related, if I am still disoriented from travel, from flinging myself at a place and people and dreams, or if it is simply the time of year, which has always felt like a haunted one for me. Or if it is simply that, like the time of year, there is so much that is almost ready to happen, and I need to lay the ghosts before I can reap the harvest.

4 comments:

  1. I saw Neil & Amanda in San Francisco tonight, &I started tearing up at the title of "The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury" &I didn't stop crying until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a beautiful story. And, at least for me, it's not so much sad as it is powerful because it slide into being true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your emotions are related to the time of the year - the sense of everything slowly coming to rest and going into hibernation. And I think you're describing it wonderfully.

    Yes, so many things are almost ready to happen - spring will come! (And Christmas before that...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Steffi! And I am enjoying it being the Season of Drinking Hot Chocolate a great deal.

    ReplyDelete