Wednesday, December 28, 2011

One more new beginning

I don't normally get very excited about New Year's Eve. I like a sparkly party and champagne as much as the next girl, and I've thrown NYE parties in the past, but it's one of those occasions I am perfectly happy to mark in flannel pajamas with a cup of hot chocolate, rather than out with the riotous crowds. Besides, after spending basically my entire life in academia, I believe the new year begins in September. 


But I got to the end of this fall semester, and I was burnt out. On teaching, on writing, on very nearly everything. This was Not Good, as I have twice as many teaching obligations next semester, and my writing obligations are (thankfully) increasing. And I love the teaching, and the writing (especially the writing), but I was just so very tired. So tired I didn't even know what to do to get myself out of being tired.


When I went home for Christmas this year, I decided to use the time to regroup, and to actually relax. To work differently than I usually do when I am on vacation (laugh at that phrase all you want, but welcome to the life of a working writer), and to think about how I worked, and what was really important to me, and how much of what I was working on was focused toward that. To think about how much of my life was focused toward that, and how I might rearrange things.


So I'm giving myself a new beginning, here at the turn of the year. Not resolutions, but a new way of looking at things.

5 comments:

  1. Google Reader had showed me this just a few minutes before your post:

    http://trunc.it/iwait

    So. Happy New Year. Renewal is always (or at least very often) a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. I hear you very clear.

    Much love and hugs for a new beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pendant is great, Marcos - thanks for sharing. Happy New Year to you, too.

    Monica - love and hugs to you, too, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very wise. Recharging your batteries and allowing yourself to refocus is a great, fresh start. *raises mug of coffee* Here's to the New Year! May your new beginnings be as brilliant as you are (which is to say, very) and may your pen never run dry. Cheers, Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ali. Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete