Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Eligible works, 2011

Hugo and Nebula nominations are open, so now begins that time of year when thou mayest behold writers, artists, and other parties making lists of works eligible for consideration. I like these lists: years are long and my brain is sometimes not the best at remembering all of the amazing things I have read and seen in the past year. So here I am, making a list.


Here is the fine print: Only members of SFWA can nominate for the Nebulas (nominations close 15 Feb.). Anyone can nominate for the Hugos, but to do so, you must either have been a member of the 2011 WorldCon, or purchase a membership to the 2012 WorldCon before 31 Jan. A supporting membership, which allows you to nominate and then to vote, is $50. This is, I know, not a trivial sum. However, in the past - and I see no reason it would be different this year - that will also give you access to the Hugo Voters pack, which generally includes almost all of the nominated works, including the Best Novel nominees. So you don't get your money back, exactly, but you do get value for it.


If it is available online, I have linked to the work. I have also listed the venue the story appeared in, and the editor. Stories do not just happen. If you liked something I wrote, and especially if you liked it enough to consider nominating it, I respectfully request that you also consider nominating the people and places that helped make those stories happen.


Short Stories:


"The Speaking Bone" in Apex, edited by Catherynne M. Valente 


"Choose Your Own Adventure," in Fantasy Magazine, edited by John Joseph Adams (this story was selected for Rich Horton's Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy, 2012)


"Sweet Sixteen," in Lightspeed, edited by John Joseph Adams


"The Calendar of Saints," in Beneath Ceaseless Skies, edited by Scott H. Andrews


I am also eligible for the Campbell Award for Best New Writer, and I am in my second and final year of eligibility for that award.


This also seems like a good time to say thank you: thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my words. It means so very much to me.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I was eligbke to nominate you -- but since I'm not, I will be cheering you on. Those eligible stories are beautiful and wonderful, the kind of things I feel lucky to have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the overwhelming urge to pay my money solely so I can nominate "Choose Your Own Adventure." Reading that last year helped me believe that the kind of things I wanted to write were being written, and following your blog in the time since has been an incredible encouragement to me as a fledgling writer. If I can find $50 soon, I will definitely do so.

    Thanks for writing, and sharing, and both of the above so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, thank you - what an incredible compliment.

    ReplyDelete