Monday, February 6, 2012

It's comedy that's hard

Last night I wanted to read something that was fun. Light-hearted. Possibly even comic. It had been kind of a rough week, and I had worked a lot, and I was tired. My normal comfort books were out, as I tend to be the kind of reader who uses comfort books as a way to allow myself a good, cleansing weep.


I looked at my shelves, and realized there was a big gaping hole - there were no light-hearted, fun books to read, nothing that would make me laugh. (I do have some Christopher Moore, and Terry Pratchett, but I've read them, and I wasn't in a rereading mood.)


So here's where I ask you to help me out - what are some good comedic, fun books to read? They don't need to be genre - I enjoy reading any number of kinds of things. I'm not looking for joke books, and light-hearted need not mean light. Just the kind of thing that I can read after a long day, or a rough week, and not weep for the tragedy of it all. Thanks.





14 comments:

  1. Recent fun reads: Ready Player One (Klein), Things My Girlfriend And I Have Argued About (Millington), Sock (Jillette), A Dirty Job (Moore - really, any Christopher Moore you haven't read would probably fit the bill), A Night in the Lonesome October (Zelazny)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia Quinn's WHAT HAPPENS IN LONDON is a cheering-up fallback for me! Louise Rennison's WITHERING TIGHTS also made me laugh and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second Ready Player One. It's a quick, mostly entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam Roberts?
    I chortled at aspects of Yellow Blue Tibia - though I wouldn't call it 'comedy' exactly. He's just ... clever witty funny.

    @babelfishwars

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. There's four so far, starting with Soulless. The last one comes out this year. (I think)

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis is hilarious and smart. And for a kids' book, Sanderson's Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians has a TON of humor about writing, and is just goofy fun besides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I'm in that mood, I often reread comic books - usually some Asterix or Lucky Luke. Or a volume of folk tales, like Calvino's "Italian Folktales" (duh).

    Other options: Tim Burton's "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy" and maybe James Thurber.

    If I'm also feeling a bit mean, there's H.L. Mencken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of those punny Jasper Fforde books, and Fuzzy Nation did a good job balancing light/funny with the action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, all! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heartily second "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis! I just finished rereading it and want to read it again. I adore it.

    I also tweeted you a modern comedic fantasy recommendation (Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt; Flying Dutch is another good choice from him).

    And if you're willing to try candy fluff, I love "Can You Keep a Secret?" by Sophie Kinsella. It's improbable romance but it's funny and it makes me laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum series, starting with 'One for the Money'. Don't judge it by the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. I really should reread that. Or watch the movie again. Or possibly both.

      Delete
  13. This is a little late, but if you are still interested in light but very, very well written comedy, try almost anything by Jennifer Crusie. I especially recommend Welcome to Temptation and its follow up Faking It. They are classified as romance but are so well written you won't even notice. Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete