Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Month of Letters

I love getting real, proper mail. Letters and packages that just show up, as if by magic, and there they are, tangible proof that someone was thinking about you. It's kind of glorious.


I also love sending cards and letters and things in the post, even though I am a very absentminded sort of pen pal. I love selecting cards or stationery, the right color of ink, wax and seals and stamps - all the little rituals of communication.


And of course I understand that there are other ways to communicate - email, text, phone, twitter, blog - that are easier, less expensive, more instantaneous, than letters sent in the mail. And really, what matters is the communication, not the format. But still, I love real physical letters in the mailbox.


So this month, I am participating in (wonderfully talented writer) Mary Robinette Kowal's beautiful idea, A Month of Letters. Every day that there is mail this month, I will send something to someone. I think it will be a little bit magic.



11 comments:

  1. I am doing this, too. I have lovely stationary (it has fairies on it).

    Did you say wax seal? I...need to get one. That is beyond awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. When I was nine years old we moved from Illinois to Texas, and I loved getting/sending letters to the people we had left behind. I remember how excited I would get to get a new one in the mail...and would count the days between when I knew someone has sent something to me. I am addicted to all things intstantaneous, but I really do miss the simpleness of how things used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing the Month of Letters too. Special stationary is a great idea! I need to acquire some.

    When I was a kid, my favorite school assignments were whenever they assigned us to write penpals in different states or countries. I put more effort into those letters than I did anything else most of the year. It's nice to get back to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, even though I already have stationery and cards, I am using this as an excuse to get more.

      Delete
  4. I love "real mail", too (incl, the accessories ;-)), and i think it's a pity people aren't using it as much anymore. I hadn't heard of the Month of Letters, it sounds really nice. Maybe I'll do it, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I love the image of happy letters flying from mailbox to mailbox in as many places as possible. (And in my head, the envelopes really have flapping wings. I wonder if I can get *that* stationery.)

      Delete
    2. Speaking of flapping wings: Wouldn't it be even more fun to exchange letters using carrier pigeons? I think it would be.

      Well, I'm getting in the mood for this.

      Delete
    3. If I could get my hands on a carrier pigeon, I would absolutely use it to send you a letter.

      Delete
    4. I got your letter today! So wonderful. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. It is magic! It was, the other day, to see familiar handwriting, velvety flowers on paper that Cashel touched with butterfly-gentle fingers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete