Friday, March 30, 2012

Smeared black ink

Normally, when I have been away from the blog for a while, I come back with an apology. An expression of regret for my neglect, occasionally a promise it won't happen again, knowing even as I type that it always will.


I'm trying to break the habit of being apologetic, especially when I don't need to be. So here's where I've been, and what I've been up to.


Last week, I finished the draft of a novelette, and sent it to my agent. It was difficult to write, but I'm pleased with the finished story. I love both of my main characters, and they both break my heart a little. I loved the flying disembodied heads, although their dialogue was remarkably tricky.


I wrote it while listening to this song semi-obsessively. (Yes, I know that The National did the song first. Yes, I also like that version.) Birdy's new album and The Hunger Games soundtrack (especially "Abraham's Daughter") are my current musical loves.


Last weekend, I was in Orlando for ICFA. I wrote about it here. ICFA was the most fun, and most relaxing conference I have been to so far, and I already miss everyone. I plan on being back next year.


This week, I am trying to choreograph a dance for my collaboration with the wonderful dancers of Sharp and Fine. This is craziness, I know. I'm hoping it winds up being the good and useful sort of madness.


I am also on Spring Break, which means debauchery grading papers, and making large chunks of word count on my current work in progress. I know, the nonstop glamour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment