Monday, June 11, 2012

Be a bookstore's beating heart

As I type this, the Kickstarter for Fireside #2 (and beyond!) has 202 backers, who have pledged $5075. We're really close to being funded, but we have less than 48 hours to hit $6000, or nothing happens.

This is my first experience on this end of a crowd-funded project. I've supported Kickstarters before, and I've also contributed to other sorts of crowd-funding, like the original version of Cat Valente's wonderful book, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. I like contributing, because it helps me feel like I am directly supporting artists or projects that I love, that I'm coming just a smidge closer to monetarily showing someone what their work means to me.

So the first thing I want to do is say thank you to you 202 people who have said that you want to read this magazine, and to see the illustrations that will be part of it, that paying the people who write those stories and comics and make those illustrations and who do the technical behind the scenes stuff that actually makes each issue readable a fair amount for their work is important to you. You people rock. 

I also want to say a very specific thank you to the ten of you who have selected a reward that includes my signature on a physical copy of the issue, and Ben Loory, who paid to have something in my story named after him, and Arachne Jericho, who paid to name a character. I am so honored that you've chosen to support my story, and support me.

And what is that story going to be?

Well, should we be funded, I am going to write a story about Loory's Books, a bookstore in the heart of a very strange city, a building that looks like perhaps it grew out of the streets, rather than being built upon them. And this bookstore, it wants stories. Needs them, really. And it's quite determined to make sure they're told.


  1. Very excited and looking forward to read it. Congratulations to you and all the people in Fireside.

    1. Thanks! I'm very excited to write this, and to see the other pieces of the issue.

  2. What a great set of incentives/prizes.