Saturday, June 23, 2012

Do one thing that scares you, every day

In retrospect, the conversation sounds like bad sitcom dialogue:

"If you ever wanted to try something like this, I'd jump at the chance."

"Are you serious?"

"Are you?"

"Okay. If you're serious about doing something like this, I'm in."

And there we were, Megan Kurashige and I, making a dance together. A dance that wouldn't just tell a story, but that would integrate story into the performance. Her sister, Shannon, brilliant dancer and choreographer, joined. Four amazing dancers - Carson Stein, Josianne Fleming, Kelvin Vu, and Sarah Lyman - volunteered to be part of this.

And there was an entire country between us, so we traded emails and chat sessions and Skype. We watched bits of old movies and clips of duels, sent each other links to songs and paintings.

Somewhere in there, A Thousand Natural Shocks was born. 

I have never worked on a project like this before. It has given me a new way to think about making art. I cannot even begin to say how proud and honored I am to be working with my collaborators - the rehearsal footage has made me cheer, and cry, and laugh. 

I wrote yesterday about taking risks in your art, working outside your comfort zone. Well, this entire thing has been outside of my comfort zone. This never felt like a safe project. But now, it feels like something amazing.

And this, this is what it is. That's the link to our Kickstarter. If you can help at all - contribute financially, or by passing the word around, we would be grateful. I would be grateful, that you helped make this project that I love so much a real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment