Friday, June 8, 2012

Five things I want to write

Over at his blog, my friend Joe Hill has a list of five things he wants to try as a writer that he's never done successfully. I think it's good to have things percolating in the back of the writerly brain, so after I read his list, I started thinking about what things I want to try in my own writing career that I haven't yet done successfully. (NB: for the purposes of this list, I'm also stealing his definition of "successfully" wherein success = getting paid, and for the same reason.)


So, what are the five things I want to try?


Write a YA novel. Okay, this one is sort of a cheat, since I know that's the next new thing I'm starting, and I'm actually doing the reading for it right now. But I haven't started writing it yet, and this is my list, so on it goes.


Write an epistolary novel. I think the form is a tremendous amount of fun. I also think this might be the sort of project that would be great to pull off with a collaborator.


Write a comic. Or a graphic novel. Don't worry - I won't be doing the illustrations.


Write a sonnet cycle. And here's where the "successfully" caveat comes in. I have one from my misspent youth. It will never see the light of day.


Write an episode of a television series.


Not necessarily in order of desire or priority, and obviously I have less control over some of the items on the list, but fun to think about.

9 comments:

  1. Write an epistolary novel. I think the form is a tremendous amount of fun. I also think this might be the sort of project that would be great to pull off with a collaborator.

    I think some of the best epistolary novels are like that, Kat. (Think FREEDOM AND NECESSITY, for one example)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Freedom and Necessity. And the Wrede/ Stevermer series of epistolary novels as well.

      Delete
  2. An epistolary graphic novel in which all the letters are written in sonnets. It's aimed at YA readers, with an adaptation to a TV series in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! If only I had thought of that!

      Delete
  3. I want to make a new future dystopian X-Files, so when I inevitably get the green light you can write as many episodes as you wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for my never having seen the original version, this is obviously an excellent plan!

      Delete
  4. What a great thing to think about. It's so hard sometimes to really lift my head up and see beyond the end of the current project. Thinking about it like this...well, there certainly is a good deal of AIR up here, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is how it felt. Good luck finding your own space to think and dream.

      Delete