Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Like before, and like never at all

I write this sitting on the brand new floor of my brand new apartment. I have no furniture, and I'm not at all sure when it is showing up, but I have my computer, my dog, and my cat, so I feel pretty okay about sleeping on the floor for the foreseeable future.


I write this in a city I lived near for twelve years, and already it feels more like home than its twin, on the other side of the Mississippi ever did.


It is both strange and wonderful to be back here. Strange, because for all I lived in the area for over a decade, I did not live here. The streets that I walked my dog on today are not my streets. But I lived close, and so there is a veil of the almost-familiar layered over everything. When I drive, I keep thinking I've just missed my exit.


Wonderful, because enough of what is here is familiar to be comforting, and the things that are different are differences I chose, and those choices are things that feel like freedom.

5 comments:

  1. It's just so darn exciting to have a new place! Enjoy your new-old town, Kat--and may the powers of home decorating be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could probably live with a computer and a cat. :-)

    Some urbanists and architects study what they call "desire paths" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desire_path). At times a public garden or park was designed with a sidewalk but people prefer to walk across them in a different way, creating a route that makes more sense for whatever reason (it's faster, it's more pleasant, there's more shadow, there's less shadow). Of course that's a collective construct. But there's also a particular desire path for each and every walker. Enjoy creating yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the idea of desire paths, too. So cool.

      Delete
  3. Nice to hear you've got the essentials with you!
    ... the thing about the almost-familiar is it'll be the little things that'll trip you up, things you don't even think about or pay attention to, because you'll think they're familiar.
    I moved from one english speaking country to another and have tripped over what I thought would be familiar a gazillion times, much to the amusement of my friends!

    ReplyDelete