Friday, January 4, 2013

That time of year again

As nominations for the Hugo awards have officially opened, it's that time of year when people are listing their eligible works. (Nebula awards and World Fantasy awards nominations are also open, the Locus awards nominations are not yet.) Each set of awards comes with their own set of rules as to who can nominate and vote, and you should consult those but the short version is you must be a member of SFWA for the Nebulas, have purchased a supporting or attending WorldCon membership for the Hugos, have purchased a membership to WFC to vote for the World Fantasy awards, and anyone can nominate for the Locus awards. If you can vote (and if you're reading this, you can, at least for the Locus awards), I encourage you to do so.

I recently did a post on some of my favorite reads of 2012, and I will definitely be considering those works when it comes to making my own nominations. Since all my eligible works are in the short story category, I will also repeat here some of the other short fiction that I loved this year:

"Give Her Honey When You Hear Her Scream," by Maria Dahvana Headley, in Lightspeed. I believe Maria is also still eligible for the Campbell award - she will be on my ballot, if so.

"The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species," by Ken Liu, in Lightspeed

"The Night We Drank Cold Wine," by Megan Kurashige, in Electric Velocipede

All of these stories are well worth your consideration.

The following are my eligible works. I've also listed where they were published and the editor - if you liked something I wrote enough to consider nominating it, I'd like to respectfully ask you to consider nominating the market and the editor as well. Also, I was fortunate enough to have multiple stories illustrated by Galen Dara, who is eligible in the category of Fan Artist.

"The Least of the Deathly Arts," (Subterranean, William Schafer)

"Murdered Sleep," (Apex, Lynne M. Thomas)

"Breaking the Frame," (Lightspeed, John Joseph Adams)

"The Heart of the Story," (Fireside, Brian White)

Lois Tilton of Locus Magazine included both "The Least of the Deathly Arts" and "Murdered Sleep" on her list of recommended short fiction from 2012.

1 comment: